The essentials, style edition. It’s great fun reading other writers’ lists (e.g. here and here) of their ten or five essential wardrobe items. I am list-compulsive myself: it keeps that analytical part of my brain quiet so my creative side can wander 😊 . Like most women, my essentials change as my style is re-defined, my body changes, and time marches on. For the last couple of years (not counting all those stay-at-home pajama days) my essentials have included:
- A denim skirt. I can wear one every day, and they’re more comfortable than most jeans. Every top I own can be worn with a denim skirt, from a funky Keith Haring tee to a silky button-down blouse. I have two denim skirts now, a midi by MANGO that I love love love, and a slightly edgy one, with asymmetric waist, by Boyish.
- Black, gray, and Breton-striped knit tops. I wear one almost every day, with that denim skirt or with straight-leg, cropped jeans. I like them soft and fitted, or with a bit of texture and oversized. The neutrals are great for my muted coloring, and every season I add one colorful tee. To make any tee more memorable, add some accessories – like a delicate pendant.
- Pendant necklaces, like the ones I find here. My tastes have changed over the last decade and I now prefer more delicate necklaces and charms. I wear one almost every day, in silver or gold tones, to elevate the tee-shirt look to a more feminine polished one. Etsy is a great place to score a vintage piece.
- Shoes or boots with attitude. I don’t wear proper running sneakers or Crocs (no offense to those who love them!). I am, however, crazy for “athleisure” shoes, like these high tops, and low-cut baby pink tie-ups. I just bought some fab Fly London peep-toe sandals for Spring, via the resale site Poshmark. Love the vintage vibe.
- Essence lipstick in “On The Catwalk“. It’s my signature shade, a deep mauve that brightens my face without screaming “LIPS!”, or fading away to nude. So sad that it’s now discontinued, but I found a decent duplicate: Bobbi Brown Soft Berry. It’s a touch lighter but still hits my color zone.
“Living with only the bare essentials has not only provided superficial benefits such as the pleasure of a tidy room . . . it has also led to a more fundamental shift. It’s given me a chance to think about what it really means to be happy.-Fumio Sasaki
I’d love to hear about your Essentials, and how they may have evolved over the years.
Stay safe, wash and wash and wash (your hands), xo
Wear what you love, always. Here are some goodies to browse:
Please be aware that links to vendors may be affiliate links. I may benefit from your purchases through the links on the blog. Header photo by Lachlan on Unsplash
Great suggestions! Denim skirts are stylish and versatile!
“What’s up it’s me, I am also visiting this web page daily,
this site is in fact pleasant and the users are
genuinely sharing pleasant thoughts.”
I am quite a few years older than you so my basics are a little different . I find three quarter boat neck tees more flattering to the arms and neck and fabric midi skirts great with low heel boots or pumps with interesting belts for spice.. I have liked items you have showcased as I always enjoy seeing your chic joie de vie fashion finds as adding a new young piece is very rejuvenating to the wardrobe and spirit..
Good morning Joan and I hope you’re feeling well! Thank you for your kind comments. I love a midi skirt with low heeled boots, I think it’s always graceful. Stay safe, xx.