- As the wise and wonderful Pam wrote a little while ago, simple is good. There are a lot of simple, clean lines and refined silhouettes in the city. That’s partly a function of the season of course; I didn’t have the chance to see too many pretty dresses under the trim black coats! But the slim lines and solid colors are very appealing to my eyes.
- You just can’t have enough boots for Fall/Winter. I thought I’d see higher heels, but the vast majority are flats, wedges, or short (2″ max) heels, in all kinds of yummy designs.
- Scarves! A saw one billion gorgeous scarves. OK, ten thousand. This inspires me to up my game on the quality of scarves I own. A richly colored scarf — doesn’t have to be cashmere, there are some wonderful rayons — lifts a Fall/Winter look immeasurably.
- Carry a great looking bag. In a big city, a big bag is essential. In my little city, it’s not, but they sure do look good! Again, my eyes went for the sleek, simple rich-looking bags. I can find these back in Florida in consignment shops for affordable prices.
- Even in the biggest city, you don’t have to spend a fortune to up your game. There are so many thrifts and resale shops. Trade in sweats for a crisp pair of dark denims, white trainers for some ankle boots, add a thrifted scarf, and you’ve got a chic look.
- Posture counts! Walk tall, head high, have a purpose and feel visible. Something I do that many New Yorkers do not, is smile. I can’t help it, I’m a happy woman!
|What a breathtaking piece of architecture – the Brooklyn Bridge
|It was cold and windy – can you tell? Fashion took a back seat to warmth.
Do you have any other tips to make your look more sophisticated, if you have the desire to? Share, please!
Visible Monday Link-Up Reminder: Monday November 7th is Visible Monday, a group posting for anyone who’d like to participate. The simple guidelines are here. Basically, just post something that makes you feel wonderful/visible, and link to it via my Monday post. Easy and fun.