My favorite things, 2018 edition. In many ways, 2018 has been a challenging year. In the US, our revered institutions and practices of democracy have been under attack. Our international friendships are threatened, economic markets are plunging, and natural disasters have wreaked havoc. As years go, we’ve had better.
There are many things to be grateful for, too, in the past year. The most precious to me are good health and a happy marriage, the foundations of a joyful life. These are my favorites every year.
Some awesome things happened in 2018, too. We saw women in all walks of life say “no more” to sexual harassment and worse. The Winter Olympics had some shining moments (looking at you, Adam Rippon). The survivors of the Parkland, FL mass shooting inspired the country to pay attention. Harry and Megan got married. More women ran for, and won, seats in the US Congress. The Katy Perry/Taylor Swift feud appears to have ended.
And here are some of my personal favorites from 2018:
- Friends. This one is deep and wide. I have solidified friendships with a handful of people in 2018, by spending more time (that’s the key!) with them, caring about their lives, and receiving a multitude of blessings in return. I plan to keep this up indefinitely.😄
- Opportunities to stretch my comfort zone with style: like doing several video interviews with the lovely Margaret Manning, and attending a Nordstrom Canada product launch with my gla-mazing friend Melanie of Bag And A Beret!
- A ring by artist O: Acquiring a special piece-of-art ring made by the artist O was a highlight. It’s got magic in it.
- Kindle and Netflix and Public Television for amazing entertainment and education. I don’t remember television being so engrossing (check out Maniac on Netflix) or inspirational (look for Winter at Wesbeth on Public Broadcasting). Kindle lets me bring my books everywhere in a pocket-sized device.
- Lots of live music. Sandy plays the horn in the local orchestra, and I get to hear live music all the time. In NYC, we can go to student concerts and plays for free or cheap. The year was a banner one for music appreciation, and I’m still singing, with an online coach.
- Funky new shoes. It sounds trivial, but discovering a comfortable brand of shoes has made life so much happier. My new favorites are by Sofft (they don’t sponsor me), usually oxford-style tie-ups and sandals, with superb comfort.
- Not Dead Yet. I made it to 63 and a half, and I’m grateful. Aging is not for sissies, as many of you already know. But it’s still great to be here.
I’d love to hear about your 2018 favorite in the comments.
Keep joy in your heart, Happiest New Year to you, and stay fabulous, xo,
Here’s some cool favorite-worthy pieces:
Please be aware that links to vendors may be affiliate links. I may benefit from your purchases through the links on the blog. Header image via this site.