Most of us live cyclical lives of work, rest, play, repeat. The “work” could mean an office job, running a company, writing, taking care of kids, volunteering – it’s all good and gives our lives structure. We need a few simple luxuries, too, to lift us from the daily routine, to spark happiness, and joie de vivre. You already have some of these simple luxuries in mind, right?
Here are a few suggestions from my house, and I would love to hear yours:
1. Great coffee in the morning. Life is too short for bad coffee (or tea). Get a brand/flavor you love, add a teaspoon of whipped cream, and really enjoy it. Try not to gulp on your way out the door, but sit for a minute with a favorite book, or blog, or music.
2. Nice house-only clothes. My boy-shorts and “Notorious RBG (Ruth Bader Ginsberg)” tee are cool and comfortable. But I feel luxurious in a linen oversized shirt or silky PJ pants, or colorful slippers.
3. A lovely wine in the evening. Near the end of the day we delight in a good Merlot, or a Bailey’s, and talk about the day. If we don’t feel like talking, we sip and watch a favorite movie or TV show. Current favorite: Breaking Bad (I know, I am five years late!). I limit myself to one alcoholic beverage per day, and my doctor has approved. If you don’t drink alcohol, have a tasty juice cocktail.
4. Lipstick. A bright usually orange-red lipstick makes me feel rich (hee!), pulled together and confident. So simple, a piece of colored wax and my mood is lifted. I usually choose drugstore brands but have been known to splurge. Good news: even the most expensive lipstick is less costly than a pair of Spanx. And what makes you happier? : >
5. A favorite piece of jewelry. It doesn’t have to be a real diamond, or real gold, just special to you. An inherited piece, or one you found at a thrift store in Greenwich Village. I have a couple of vintage brooches and bracelets that are posh to me, no matter their low cost.
6. New towels. Don’t laugh! We just got a new set of towels and they are so fluffy and fresh. We use hand towels ten times a day or so, so why not make them luxurious?
Stay fabulous, and enjoy some simple pleasures,
Shop the mini luxuries:
Please be aware that links to vendors may be affiliate links. I do benefit from your purchases through the links on the blog.