|Image via Shine @ Yahoo|
I remember reading fashion magazines as a young woman that offered advice on how to transition from office-to-dinner date. You know: Wear a silky camisole under your pinstriped suit, then whip off your jacket at 5 o’clock, change into fishnets, spritz on some Charlie and boogie out the door.
These articles are still appearing of course, because articles in women’s magazines are mostly recycled decade to decade anyway. Now we pack a slim clutch in our tote, along with a pair of spiky heels and sparkly earrings. Add red lips!
There’s some common sense in all these tips, but they no longer apply to my small-city, office-casual lifestyle. I do still enjoy going right from work to a favorite pub with my husband on a Friday evening. Here is my simple ritual, and I would love to hear yours:
- Freshen unruly hair with damp hands and a squirt of gel.
- Powder! At my advanced age, I still get a shiny nose and forehead. I keep a small compact at work.
- Loosen up: remove any restricting blazers or neck scarves that are worn for office modesty. Re-tie the scarf around the waist, perhaps?
|This can be loosened up for pub-wear|
- Brush teeth: boring but good.
- Lipstick – yes, that old tip still applies. A fresh dab of lipstick brightens my face. I cheat and put a smudge of it on my cheeks too.
- Scented hand lotion. It’s a two-in-one: smells good, feels great.
I don’t look very different at this point, but I feel different, ready to relax, change gears and laugh a lot. What are your little rituals for switching from work to play?
Visible Monday Link-Up Reminder: Monday March 5th is Visible Monday, a group posting for anyone who’d like to participate. The simple guidelines are here. Basically, just post something that makes you feel wonderful/visible, and link to it via my Monday post. Easy and fun.