One of my informal fashion goals for 2014 is to wear only pieces that make me feel great. No “you’ll do” or “good enough” clothes. If that means I repeat my outfits a lot, that’s fine with me. I’ve discovered nobody at work remembers what each other wears (except we all notice my boss wears suspenders every day – but that’s his signature! and he looks cool).
I’ll sometimes change clothes on my way out the door, because what I’m wearing doesn’t make me happy enough. Or I’ll just change shoes, or take off a piece of jewelry, then I am happy. I am fortunate that my whole life now, work and play, is open to whatever style suits me. I do empathize with those who have workplace “uniforms” that you may or may not love. I wore the suit, floppy bow tie, nude hose and pumps for enough years to come to loathe it.
Here’s what makes me happy, style-wise:
- Well fitted jeans, mostly slim, some rolled at the hem, or
- Knit maxi skirts.
|I live in skirts like this one from Nordie‘s.
GAP makes great ones too.
- Slightly slouchy knit tops with open necklines.
|Like this one, also from Nordie‘s but available everywhere.|
- A topper of some kind if the weather calls for it.
- Booties, boots or flats with personality = big smile. I never wear heels anymore!
|These Dr. Martens 1460’s are on my list. Via Zappos.|
- Drop earrings, often made by friends or purchased via Etsy.
- Funky bracelets.
|Like this vintage 1930’s beauty offered at Bella’s shop.|
- And recently, I’ve been wearing a scarf in my hair, or a small hairpiece, to help disguise my thinning bio hair. It gives my ego a boost, until (I hope!) my hair strengthens up.
|No more bad hair days : > Source.|
It took decades, but I finally know what I love to wear. One of the perks of being my age is — I wear what I love to wear every day. And then I go about enjoying the rest of my life. It sounds deceptively simple; why did it take me so long to figure it out??
Are you a faster learner? Do you love what you wear most of the time, and does it put a smile on your face?
Have a lovely Monday, wear what makes you happy,