|Are we going somewhere? Image source.|
When we traveled to New York City for two weeks last month, I was sure of two things, style-wise:
- Whatever I might forget or long for, can be found in NYC, and
- Dark jeans and/or knit skirts work for 99% of our events.
So I planned a small, simple travel wardrobe, knowing I could go “lean”. After all, the most wondrous shopping outlets would be at my feet once we arrived.
- Two pairs of dark jeans
- Six tops, all washable, all in gray, navy and black.
- Three knit skirts, black and gray.
|Similar to this GAP skirt. Priceless for travel!|
- Two cardigans, black and navy
|Simple classic cardigans, like this one from Lands End.|
That’s it for the “building blocks”. I also brought tights and two scarves and a pair of great walking boots. I wore my Aldo mid-calf boots (similar) for travel. I brought a faux leather jacket, but traded it in for a real leather one at the Goodwill! I took only one necklace, one pair of earrings and a couple of bracelets. I find I don’t change my jewelry often while away.
|The new jacket was a fab find. Only $25 and it looks like new! In the statue garden outside The Stonewall Inn.|
I had more than enough outfits to cover all our NYC festivities, from an Einstein lecture to a wine cruise, to many-a-tequila at the Riviera Cafe. Here’s what I’ve learned from the less-was-more experience:
- I have plenty of clothes. More than plenty.
- I could “lose” about half my closet and not miss much.
- Getting dressed is so easy with just a few clothes. Choose top, choose bottom, add cardigan.
- And . . . I still love variety. I’m not ready/willing to cut to the bone. But I could, if we moved onto a tiny sailboat (or any NYC apartment we’ve seen)!
- Shoes, baby, shoes. Shoes and scarves, gloves and hats add life to any look.
Does a travel capsule wardrobe work for you? Or do you pack a lot of options? Never a wrong answer, we all have our own comfort rules.