I believe beauty is more than magazine-cover deep. Even the women on the covers of magazines are not as technically “beautiful” before the Photoshopping begins. And that’s one of the problems, of course – we don’t look “like that” because nobody looks “like that.”
So what makes a woman feel beautiful? We agree it’s not flawless skin, cellulite-free thighs, lush hair, plump lips. Good thing, yeah? Those are rare quantities after age 30.
I reject that youth = beauty, or I’d have to give up on the idea altogether. I’m 58, I’ll never be younger. (Short rant: I think the internetz were unrelentingly cruel to 81 year-old Kim Novak at the Oscars. She’s had lots of plastic surgery, but as she was coming up in Hollywood, her looks were her whole identity. There was no compassion shown for an elderly woman who’d fallen for the myth that we have to stay young or die. /rant)
Here are some of the things that make me feel beautiful, and as always I’d love to hear about yours.
- Wearing an outfit that fits, flows and feels like me.
- Tying a boho scarf around my hair when it’s unruly.
- Making eye contact with another woman of a certain age, and sharing a smile.
- A new lipstick that’s just the right shade (yeah, beauty isn’t makeup, but lipstick is exempt!)
|Maybelline Super Stay 14-Hour lipstick is a boss.|
- Walking around town with my handsome husband, and noticing that women notice him.
- Dancing to Springsteen songs.
- That first sip of a great Merlot on Friday after work.
- The scent of my favorite perfume, Prada Infusion d’Iris.
- My fresh face after a shower.
- And more.
It’s comforting that none of these requires me to be 29 again, or rich, or celebrated. Over to you, when do you feel beautiful?
Have a wonderful Wednesday, and stay fabulous,