If you live in the south, where summer is six months long, it’s easy to get bored with your summer clothes. And if, like me, you don’t have to dress up for an office, you can easily succumb to same-old tank top and cotton skirt every day. It’s too hot to think about chic layering. Full disclosure: I was inspired to write about this by Susan’s fab blog, High Heels In the Wilderness. See her most recent post here.
So we have to rely on small and simple dashes of style to stay interested. Not a blazer or colorful tights, or layered necklaces. No vests, throws, or (I miss you!) boots to liven up the picture.
Because I have a lot of experience with this – thirty years in the sub-tropics – I have a couple of ideas for reviving the well-worn summer closet:
1. Fun shoes. There are now so many fabulous, fun summer shoes that flip-flops can be confined to the beach and the pedicure salon. We can do wedges, flats, sneakers, loafers and more. Here are a couple I like, and that add some personality to my uniform:
2. Play with your hair. If your hair is short, use gel to slick it back or spike it up. This is not the season to experiment with long extensions. If your hair is already to your shoulders, experiment with braiding it or twisting it up, or even a dreadlock or two.
3. A great necklace. Just one at a time for me, and they do up your look to more intentional. A necklace can also add a touch of color or contrast with your top:
4. A lightweight scarf. No layers of silk or wool, but a little neckerchief is so chic. Susan rocks this look, and here is one of my favorites:
5. A sundress (see my last post here for some real-life examples). A sleeveless, easy fitting dress is a wonderful way to stay cool. And why not go for some pattern and color, as here:
6. Lip color. I switch up my lip color to an orange-y red instead of my more bluish “winter” red. Someone wrote me that I could look younger with a lighter lipstick, and she may be right, but I love my brights. I don’t wear foundation in the summer, it feels too heavy – just a BB cream with a high sunscreen, and mascara.
Can you share any tips for looking smart while you wither?
Please be aware that links to vendors may be affiliate links. I do benefit from your purchases through the links on the blog.