Whether your wardrobe is large and multi-closeted or small and “curated,” there are some closet essentials you likely don’t want to live without. I know I have them. I can’t get dressed without them (we’re not talking about socks and underwear). I take them to NYC. Their cost-per-wear is probably under fifty cents. And nobody in my life notices how much I wear them.
These are the quiet heroes, the essentials that form the base of lots of outfits. Things I replace when they wear out, and they actually wear out, unlike many of my “special” pieces. So a tribute today to hardworking closet basics.
Here’s my list, and I would love to read about yours in the comments:
1. Black tees. Long, short and sleeveless, I can’t live without them. Often solo, sometimes layered under another top or a blazer. I usually buy these new, at GAP or similar, because even the most expensive black tees wear out after repeated washings.
2. Boyfriend (now girlfriend?) jeans. These not-too-tight or too-loose jeans are my daily favorites. I love to roll the cuff at the bottom. I prefer a dark wash and no fancy stuff. I have thrifted some great ones, and also buy new at GAP.
3. Funky boots/booties. Why be normal? I love slightly odd shoes and boots. They make me happy, especially when the rest of my outfit is fairly sedate.
4. Solid midi skirt. Most of my skirts are this length. I love to cover my knees and show off a shapely calf instead.
5. Navy blazer. Or black. As long as it’s classically cut with no frills or extras.
Stay fabulous, and share your essentials here,
Not Dead Yet Style is a ShopStyle affiliate – please be aware that all links to these vendors are affiliate links. I do benefit from your purchases through the links on the blog.