Here’s what Eileen wants to know:
beach soon. My question for you is,
would you consider doing a post suggesting what to pack/wear? Swimsuit, cover up and sunscreen are the
obvious items but what others for days and evening?
And here’s my quickie email response:
A lot depends on which part of Florida you’re vacationing in. Here, on the Central East Coast (think Cocoa Beach), it’s very casual, shorts are OK everywhere as are sandals and tees. In Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, I’d dress up more for evening fun – as in lightweight midi or maxi skirts, colorful blouses, more jewelry.
Turns out Eileen is headed for the Sarasota area, a little more nicely dressed than us surf-rats, but not as glitzy as South Beach. I’ve been cooking up some looks for Eileen’s non-beach events. These are outfits I’d wear/suggest for those days when we’re upgrading from the beach taco stand.
- The lightweight chambray shirt is a great topper for day or evening. Not too dressy and more on-trend than a jacket/blazer. Or substitute a lightweight cardigan.
- If you’re not a shorts person, a knee-length denim skirt would work for day. Look for the lightest weight, or choose a pull-on cotton skirt with some fullness instead.
- Heels are not needed! But wear them if you love them.
- Summery jewelry is a wonderful touch. Now is the time and place for coral, yellow, turquoise and lime green necklaces/bracelets. In any combination.
- Leave your leather bag at home, if possible. Go lightweight with a canvas, fabric or straw bag.
- Goes without saying, but I’m sayin’ it: cover up from the sun. It’s intense down here!