Summer is the traditional season for big, trashy beach novels and there’s nothing wrong with that. I’d rather read a trashy book than watch a trashy TV movie, any day. I try to read more memorable books, though – the kind that turn into an earworm for your brain.
Sandy is a pure sci-fi/fantasy reader. He can work his way through a twelve-volume series like nobody I know. If a book has a bosom-y spacewoman, or arty spaceship on the cover, he will read it (along with the classics of Heinlein, Asimov, and Clarke).
My reading tastes skew to mystery, suspense, courtroom drama, and humor. I love a good dark mystery like those by Ruth Rendell and P.D. James. I also read (browse really) lots of style books and have a nice collection. I enjoy the history as well as the mechanics and art of fashion.
|Reading requires reading glasses, once you’ve passed age 40. We look like a meeting of the Nerd Club.|
Here are some recent reads from our bookshelf. I would love to hear what you’re reading this summer.
- Foundation Trilogy, by Isaac Asimov. Sandy is re-reading these classic tales of the Galactic Empire.
- The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, by Robert Heinlein. My favorite science fiction novel of all time; I re-read it last month and relished it again. It’s a bit juvenile, but still has a gripping plot and modern social/political parallels.
- I Am Not A Serial Killer, by Dan Wells. My current read. It’s from the point of view of a teenage boy, John Wayne Cleaver, who knows he could become a serial killer, but really doesn’t want to. It’s surprisingly hilarious.
- A Reliable Wife, by Robert Goolrick. A suspenseful and twisty story of a woman and man, drawn into a strange marriage of convenience. I couldn’t stop thinking about Catherine and Ralph even after I’d finished.
- The Hanging Valley, by Peter Robinson. A good old-fashioned murder mystery with love gone wrong, a bucolic setting, and sturdy British detectives. Starts with a rotting corpse, say no more.
Stay fabulous, and enjoy your summer reads,
Browse the reading section:
Not Dead Yet Style is a ShopStyle affiliate – please be aware that all links to these vendors are affiliate links. I do benefit from your purchases through the links on the blog.