We can change our minds and our style and our clothes whenever we want. That’s one of the best things about style – the flexibility we have to dress like ourselves.
In my early career I had very little choice. I wore a suit or dress in a dark neutral, and always wore pantyhose and some kind of heel. Since age 38, I’ve had great freedom to dress myself. The only “rules” I follow (for me, not for you) are: Nothing too tight, short or low-cut.
So there’s a world of fashions available to me, and even on a small budget I can choose to wear what I like. I wish I had the talents of a Melanie, Suzanne, or Vix, to create original looks from scratch. I am a super-analytical person, though, so I try to make good use of those skills. I read about style, take notes, “fantasy shop” online, then come up with a couple of formulas.
Here’s a quick look at my Fall/Winter wardrobe. It’s missing some pieces, but it helps me think:
I’m feeling like simplicity and neutrals right now. That means:
- Neutral base pieces: dark denim jeans and pencil skirt; dark trousers; navy, black, gray, and ivory tops; a black cardigan and black or navy blazer. An LBD, of course (the Karina Rita is my favorite now).
- Interesting shoes/tights. I like to show some personality via my feet. For Fall/Winter, that’s booties and boots and colorful flats. I like patterned tights too.
- Good hair. I spend time and money on my hair. It’s on display every day and sets the stage for my whole look. I own a few hairpieces that help supplement my fine, fuzzy natural hair. I look at these as important accessories.
|Don’t be afraid to play with faux hair. It’s an accessory, like a scarf or necklace.|
- Simple makeup and well-groomed fingernails. I have a streamlined makeup routine, and I don’t feel fully dressed without some concealer, blush and lipstick. I bought the Bobbi Brown concealer set that many of you recommended last week, thank you.
- A couple of great jewelry pieces. I wear my vintage Egyptian bracelet almost every day. Vintage shops have the best jewelry.
- A splash of color from a scarf. I have a collection of about 20 scarves, of all colors and sizes. Soon the weather will allow a scarf-a-day.
Are you more creative or analytical, when it comes to dressing? Or a bit of both? Share your “formula” if you have one, and stay fabulous,
Not Dead Yet Style is a ShopStyle affiliate – please be aware that all links to these vendors are affiliate links. I do benefit from your purchases through the links on the blog.