Wardrobe can’t-live-withouts after 50. Did I tell you I love lists? I am compulsive about lists. Any blog post that starts out with “The Top X Things You Need . . . ” or “X Ways to Change Your Whole Life in Thirty Minutes . . .”, gets my immediate attention. Curse you, marketing people, for knowing what makes me tick!
Anyway, I have been thinking about the usual “top ten” wardrobe essentials that circulate around the internet: crisp white shirt, dark denim jeans, trench coat, little black dress, pencil skirt, etc. These are all good and useful, for lots of women. These lists can also make me feel bad because my own wardrobe is so individualistic, and so small.
Staying true to the intent of my blog, I’ve been focusing my thoughts on must-haves for the woman over 50. This list isn’t meant to represent a complete wardrobe – just my can’t live-without-pieces, if I’m going to be a stylish Woman of a Certain Age.
I hope you will add and subtract from this list in the Comments below, and/or let me know I am off my fashion rocker.
- Comfortable — yet stylish! — shoes for work and play. I look back on the heels I used to wear in my 20’s/30’s and I am amazed at my stamina, or my high pain threshold. Now it’s a 2″ heel max, a nicely padded footbed, room for my toes, and sneakers if you got ’em. We just cannot have fun if our feet hurt.
- A couple of silky or silky-knit, solid tops in your best colors. Add a few prints if that’s your thing. These should be at a minimum hand-washable and go with most everything in your closet.
- A couple of knee-length or midi skirts in your favorite shapes. I love a full skirt, or a gored one. Pencils are okay, but they don’t give me enough freedom of movement through the day.
- A few dresses, at least one in a solid neutral and not-too-distinctive shape. The one you can layer up, or wear as a skirt, or under a blazer like a suit. Grab another dress or two in your favorite colors/patterns.
- A great handbag that holds all your stuff, looks stylish and grown-up, and makes you feel good when you carry it. It can be leather or not and some great ones are pre-loved. Don’t deny yourself a good-looking purse over 50; it does make a difference in how you feel about your whole look.
Oh yeah, I have more stuff than this — button-down shirts, jeans and tees, a party dress, coats, socks, undies and PJ’s — but I consider this list a basis for a solid wardrobe. What say you?
“Clothes make the [wo]man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.”-Mark Twain
Stay safe, xo
Wear what you love, always. Here are some goodies to browse: