I love to buy a new bag in September! It’s a hangover from living in the Northeast till I was 30. Back to school, back to college, young professional — in all my shopping iterations I wanted a new handbag for Fall. Now, even though the temps will be in the high 80’s for another month, I still crave a nice, Autumn-y bag to replace my lightweight summer bag.
In my real life, not-broke but far from crazy-rich, I have just a few criteria:
- Under $150-ish.
- Maybe neutral, but not black: a “colorful neutral” like olive, deep red, mustard is good.
- Medium large: holds all my essentials, but doesn’t resemble an overnight bag, or give me back pain.
- Shoulder-carry-able. I love the look of Mad Men short-strap purses, but cannot deal with them on an everyday basis.
- In the ideal world, a stash-spot on the outside for keys and phone.
I have my eyes on these:
There have been times in my life when even these prices have been out of reach – and of course I love a bargain any day! So I also comb the following for surprising Fall handbags:
- eBay, for gently used, higher-end bags — there are thousands out there!
- Consignment stores have great selections at affordable prices ($30-$85 for a “good” bag with a little wear).
- My hangouts: the thrifts. There is usually a big pile of not-so-great bags, so you have to be patient and eagle-eyed. Ask to see what’s behind the glass at the checkout too. There’s often a lovely, high quality bag stashed away.
“Because I’m still in love with you, I want to see you dance again. Because I’m still in love with you on this harvest moon.”–Neil Young
Do you enjoy a new bag for Fall? Or are you loyal to one or two year-round favorites? Share your thoughts in the comments.
Stay fabulous, xo
Wear what you love, always. Here are some goodies to browse: