Give your every day outfits a lift. I’ve been re-reading and enjoying a vintage 1983 fashion/style book, Looking, Working, Living Terrific 24 Hours a Day (mouthful!) by Emily Cho. It was recommended by a fellow blogger many years ago. The book is dated in most of the specific fashion advice — lots of bow-tie blouses, e.g. — but it offers a handful of time-tested style tips.
I especially enjoyed Ms. Cho’s list of “Little Lifts” for your wardrobe. Here are some of them I would definitely use, and recommend for Autumn 2021 outfits:
- Button your cardigan, and belt it. OK, not rocket-science, but it does give me an additional way to style a cardi, more like a soft jacket. A cardigan can look like a blouse, or add a belt, and it’s a polished jacket. Brilliant.
- Twist two contrasting scarves together before tying them around your neck. I keep wanting to try this, and forgetting to do so on my way out the door. It sounds like fun, and no sewing required.
- Fold over the top of your boots for a new look. I hadn’t though of this, but I have a couple of soft pair that this might work with.
- A fabric flower in leather or silk is a nice touch. Indeed. I love the idea of a leather flower for Fall/Winter.
- If you can’t figure out the right shoe to wear with a skirt, boots work best. So true. Boots make most any outfit more modern and chic.
“A woman makes an outfit her own with accessories.”-Oscar de le Renta
Staying with the keep-it-simple, make-it-fun theme, I’d add these little lifts:
- Colored tights, or even gray or textured black, will make any look more interesting.
- A bold cuff bracelet is a fun touch, even if you’re not a big accessory-lover.
- Mix a winter pattern skirt (hounds-tooth, checks, pinstripes) with a floral blouse or sweater if you’re feeling bolder. I started doing this when I created my blog in 2011, and it’s too much fun to stop.
- Mix moods, if you feel like it. Wear a floaty chiffon skirt with a chunky sweater and add boots. We don’t have to be matchy anymore, yay!
“Style is a simple way of saying complicated things.“–Jean Cocteau
I know you have some little lifts you’re using this season to make your outfits more fun. Please share in the comments!
Stay fabulous, xo
Wear what you love, always. Here are some goodies to browse:
Please be aware that links to vendors may be affiliate links. I may benefit from your purchases through the links on the blog. Header image is of a fabulous shoe that can be found here.