Moving away from, moving towards. This is an exercise I used to assign to my therapy patients: make two lists, one of the things you are moving away from, and the other of things you are moving towards. It helps us see where we are making progress in our lives, how far we have come already, and where we want our goals to take us.
I thought it would be helpful to apply this exercise to wardrobe and style. I don’t make New Year’s (or Thanksgiving) Resolutions! but this is more of a “taking stock” activity, right? : > And the end of a year is a convenient time for such things. So here are some of my moving ideas:
I am moving away from:
- being “too cheap” with myself. Without acting from greed, I deserve good things.
- buying disposable, fast-clothing pieces that support unfair labor. practices (I have pretty much completely moved away from this; I still buy Hanes underwear now and then).
- falling back on black and gray for my comfort zone.
- feeling bad about my aging face and neck. They’re the only ones I have.
- envy of others’ wardrobes/talents/blogs.
“If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude.”-Maya Angelou
I am moving toward:
- budgeting for a few higher-quality pieces to elevate my wardrobe.
- being more discerning when I thrift-shop (just because it’s $4, doesn’t mean I have to have it).
- growing more comfortable with my best colors, like sky blue and burgundy, as staples in my closet.
- accepting the changes in my face and body, while staying healthy and fit.
- appreciation of my own closet and my own gifts.
I am sure there are more, and I’ll probably add to this list as the months go on.
“Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”-Harriet Tubman
I would love to hear from you — what are you moving away from/towards? Or are you at a sweet spot right now?
Stay fabulous, xo
Wear what you love, always. Here are some goodies to browse:
Please be aware that links to vendors may be affiliate links. I may benefit from your purchases through the links on the blog. Header photo via this site.