I have read a dozen or two fashion and style books, countless articles, and a bajillion blog pages about style philosophy. I’ve created a highly valuable file on my PC with scraps of accumulated wisdom – you know, things I wish I’d said – about style.
I don’t have credits for many of these jottings, as they’re often done in the wee hours. I do have a grateful heart for all the witty writers and thinkers. Perhaps some of you reading this blog now are the very authors I am quoting here – thank you! And please don’t sic your attorneys on me.
Here are a few of my favorite mantras about style. It’s my fond hope that you will add some in the comments, and we’ll have a lovely collection. These can be any style-related sentence (one sentence only) that inspires you, clears your head, keeps you on the good path, or just makes you smile.
- Your closet is a toolbox, not a junk drawer.
- Wear your best clothes every day.
- “Good enough” is not good enough.
- Go outside in pajamas, and you’ll run into every ex you have. –Tim Gunn
- Buy less and choose well. –Vivienne Westwood
- Corollary: Less can be more.
- One is never over-dressed or under-dressed with a Little Black Dress. – Karl Lagerfeld
- When in doubt, reach for the black tee and sunglasses (that’s my own!).
- Darling, you don’t need that – you have enough already. –Halston
Over to you – do you have some advice to share? I love to hear from you!