Today I’m updating a post I wrote over six years ago, about moving-toward and moving-away. It’s an exercise I used to assign to my counseling patients: make two lists, one of the things you are moving away from, and the other of things you are moving toward. It helps us see where we’re making progress in our lives, how far we have come already, and where we want our goals to take us.
I am moving away from:
- Being “too cheap” with myself (still true.)
- Buying disposable, fast-clothing pieces that support unfair labor practices (much progress made here.)
- Feeling bad about my aging face and neck (doing better at this; the passage of time requires it.)
- Envy of others’ wardrobes/talents/blogs (still a temptation, but much less so.)
- Falling back on black and gray for my comfort zone (I changed my mind, and allow myself to love black and gray.)
- Predictability (Bingo, I won this one! I’m far more spontaneous and daring with my style.)
I am moving toward:
- Being more discerning when I thrift-shop. Just because it’s $4, doesn’t mean I have to have it. (Lots of progress here; I’m getting more particular.)
- Budgeting for a few higher-quality pieces to elevate my wardrobe (I have some work to do, on “deserving” really nice things.)
- Accepting the changes in my face and body, while staying healthy and fit. (After a traumatic broken wrist last year, I am more grateful to have good health, and less worried about a few wrinkles.)
- Appreciation of my own closet and my own gifts. (I’m enjoying playing with fewer pieces, and still making good-looking outfits.)
- Creativity. (It’s something I’m always craving, and looking around corners for. Maybe if I relax a little it will come?)
I am sure there are more, and I’ll probably add to this list as the year goes on. What are you moving away from/toward? Or are you at a sweet spot right now?
Reminder: Visible Monday starts Sunday around 5PM. You are invited to share your favorite outfit, accessory, hairstyle or lipstick of the week – anything that made you feel Visible. Be there for the best blogger party and the finest style on the webz!
Join us! Click the Spotlight:
Some fab pieces to browse through:
Please be aware that links to vendors may be affiliate links. I do benefit from your purchases through the links on the blog. Header image here.